Artibus et Historiae no. 8 (IV)1983, ISSN 0391-9064
1 2 3 4 5 6
Buy article pdf
PATRICK M. DE WINTER - Castle and Town Residences of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (1364-1404)
Philip the Bold's innovative art patronage is emphasized in terms of secular architectural commissions. Enlisting Dreux de Dammartin and Jacques de Neuilly, and seeing to the formation of artist's workshops (including Jean de Marvielle, Claus Sluter, Jean de Beaumetz, Arnoul Picornet) and of highly competent masons and other craftsmen, the Duke ordered numerous transformations at the Dijon palace and in his chateaux principally Argilly, Rouvres, Montbard and Talant, while simultaneously occupied with the building of the Charterhouse of Champmol. Construction of Germolles dedicated to courtly sheep rearing and which was to include sculptures completed by Sluter of the ducal couple as shepherds was begun in 1381. Among Philip's residences in Paris, was the Hotel d'Artois, site of lavish fetes, enlarged and entirely refurbished. Works were also undertaken at chateaux in Artois and Flanders. Here too Philip fostered an architecture which was at the same time more pleasing and more functional.