Artibus et Historiae no. 72 (XXXVI)2015, ISSN 0391-9064
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
PETER HUMFREY and ALLISON SHERMAN - The Lost Church of San Niccolò ai Frari (San Nicoletto) in Venice and its Painted Decoration (pp. 247-281)
Closed in 1806 and later demolished, the little Franciscan church of San Niccolò ai Frari in Venice was previously decorated with an ensemble of sixteenth-century paintings of great distinction. These included, in addition to a major work by Titian above the high altar, a cycle by Paolo Veronese and his family assistants, also involving his younger contemporaries Paolo Fiammingo and Palma Giovane. Using contemporary documents and early printed sources, the present article traces a history of the church and provides a reconstruction of the original arrangement of these paintings, drawing new conclusions about their dating, patronage, and iconography.