Artibus et Historiae no. 70 (XXXV)2014, ISSN 0391-9064
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
CATERINA FURLAN - Observations on the Decoration of the Oratorio della Purità in Udine (pp. 141–156)
It is well known that the Oratory of the Purità in Udine was built following the wishes of Patriarch Daniele Dolfin in order to replace a secular theatre standing on the spot; the new building was inaugurated on 28 June 1760. The story of its decoration, which involved Giambattista and Domenico Tiepolo, has been fully studied but not so its iconographic programme attributable to Patriarch Dolfin himself. This essay investigates the contents and symbolism of the wall narratives in the Oratory which were determined by what may be construed as a series of diagonal intersections creating a star-like shape possibly alluding to the Virgin Mary.